The Yaesu brand is known for its high-quality radios, and the FT60R is no exception. This handheld ham radio is built of rugged materials. While it lacks waterproofing, it can hold up great to outdoor use. This makes it a fantastic option for a range of different applications.
It is also a good choice for a wide range of users. If you are an advanced ham radio user, you will be pleased by the extensive programming options available, as well as the device’s sophisticated performance. The clarity and range are great, and there are some handy features which make the radio easy to operate.
If on the other hand you are a beginner, you will encounter a learning curve, but you should still find the Yaesu FT60R more intuitive than a lot of other handheld ham radios on the market. The user manual which comes with the product is relatively clear and simple. It should be sufficient to provide you with the guidance that you need in order to get started.
So regardless of your level of experience, the Yaesu FT60R is well worth considering. It is a fantastic all-around purchase, and a great “default” option if you do not know what you need.
- Compact and lightweight. It is easy to carry around this handheld ham radio wherever you need it thanks to its slim profile.
- Durable build. While a lot of handheld ham radios are made out of plastic, this one is made out of cast aluminium. This means that it can withstand more wear and tear. You should try not to drop it, but if you do, it has better chances of surviving than a plastic unit. There is some water resistance, but it is not waterproof, so try and keep it out of major rainfall and puddles.
- Nice interface. There is an analog dial for controlling the squelch which some users may find easier to operate than standard buttons. You also can use control lock to keep the radio from responding when you push buttons on mistake.
- A nice balance of bells and whistles with ease-of-use. Along with the features listed above, it includes CTCSS/DCS, EAI for emergencies, scanning, a thousand memory channels, weather alerts through NOAA, and more. Even with all these features, it is not overwhelming—the basic programming is relatively straightforward. This is why it is ideal for both beginning and advanced users.
- Excellent value. If you are shopping for a “high end” radio but you do not want to pay an arm and a leg for one, the Yaesu FT60R is pretty much a dream come true. You will not go broke paying for this radio, and it is missing some features you would find in models which are more expensive—but most users will discover that they have everything they need here and more.
- The antenna quality is lacking. You will probably want to buy an aftermarket antenna to replace it.