There are a handful of brands in the world of two-way radios which you will encounter time and again when you are shopping for a new radio for the outdoors. One of those is Motorola. Motorola’s stellar reputation has been earned through a wide selection of sturdy radios with powerful features, one of which is the Talkabout T460.
What makes the Talkabout T460 a radio worth thinking about? For one thing, there is the 35-mile range. This is based on what you could expect in perfect, unhindered conditions, so it is not a realistic measure of what you will get in real-life, but it does translate into a fabulous effective range. This is true even in the presence of hills and trees—though you will of course get the best range in flat settings.
The Talkabout T460 also features weather alerts, privacy channels, a flashlight, and other features which are ideal for outdoor use. This makes it a perfect option for hikers, backpackers, climbers, campers, fishermen, and others who are looking to stay connected while they do the activities they love.
Note that if you like the Talkabout T460 but are looking for an alternative which is a little more “deluxe,” the Motorola T600 Talkabout is worth looking into.
- Weatherproofing. The Talkabout T460 meets IP54 weatherproofing standards, which affords the unit with some degree of protection from rain and snow. Note that this is not the same thing as actual waterproofing. If you are looking for a radio which is waterproof and floats, try the similar but slightly more expensive Motorola T600 Talkabout.
- Weather alerts. Monitor NOAA updates to keep track of the weather conditions headed your way.
- Lots of channels. There are 22 channels and 121 privacy codes, which means that 2,662 channel combinations are available.
- Flashlight. Included in this radio is an LED flashlight. You can use this to find your way around at night while you are camping or during a power outage.
- Emergency alerts. If you are in an emergency situation, you can transmit an alert siren by simply pushing a button.
- Two battery options. There are NiMH rechargeable batteries which come with your radio. These last around 10 hours before they need to be recharged. If you need longer battery life, you can use 3 AA batteries instead. These will give you 26 hours before they need to be replaced.
- Hands-free operation. With the inclusion of VOX, you can keep your hands free on the go.
- Plenty of other outstanding features. Along with the stated features above, the Talkabout T460 comes with cross-brand compatibility, a “Roger” tone, a low battery alert, VibraCall™, and 20 different call tones you can choose from.
- Some users may find these radios a bit quiet. This is pretty subjective though, and most users will probably be satisfied with the volume.