With each passing year, an increasing number of businesses are turning to virtual phone systems in order to satisfy their communication needs. The purpose of using a virtual phone system—frequently referred to as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)—is to efficiently relay information to other parties in a way that is clear and reliable.
Naturally, there are currently more VoIP providers to choose from than ever before. In fact, some industry experts estimate that the number of VoIP providers in the United States is currently nearing 1,000. With so many different options to choose from, it can be difficult to make a final commitment. This article will briefly review the VoIP provider Grasshopper and discuss whether their services will make sense for your business.
Grasshopper is one of the fastest growing organizations in the VoIP industry. As of 2018, the company claims to have provided services for over 300,000 different businesses. Additionally, the company has earned a wide variety of different rewards including the “Best of 2018” from FitSmallBusiness.
When compared to other potential VoIP providers, there are a few things that make Grasshopper distinct. Generally speaking, Grasshopper’s services are likely best for small businesses (operating with 5 phone numbers or less) rather than those operating on the enterprise-level scale.
Additionally, the company prices their products in “bundles” rather than using the traditional per line pricing model. Depending on the number of phone lines you hope to incorporate into your business, this may cost more or less than the alternatives.
Overall, Grasshopper appears to be a company with a strong commitment to their customers and a firm willingness to help new businesses get off the ground and running. Each of their plans include an extensive array of features including business texting, inbound faxes, unlimited calling, desktop and mobile apps, and numerous others. The goal of Grasshopper is to offer affordable plans for your business that can help you “sound more professional & stay connected.”
Top Features and Benefits
One of the most desirable features that Grasshopper currently offers is that you will be able to choose between a 1- 800 number of a number with your local area code. Depending on the type of image that your small business is hoping to project, this distinction can often be very important.
Additionally, there are numerous benefits highlighted on Grasshopper’s website that will be featured with every package that they currently offer (even if you only sign up for a single number):
- Business Texting provides you the convenience of texting through a more professional approach
- Call Forwarding makes it easier for you to be easily reached, no matter where you might be
- Custom Greetings help reinforce a sense of professionalism and further establish your relationship with your clients
- Read Your Voicemail makes it easier to check your messages in noisy environments
- Unlimited Minutes helps eliminate your concern of overusing minutes and makes it more possible for you to grow your business
- Desktop and Mobile Apps help you manage your virtual phone network from multiple different locations
- Inbound Fax helps preserve the benefits of paper communications
- Voicemail makes it easier for you to stay in touch
- Wifi Calls can help keep you connected in situations where you don’t have reception
Grasshopper also offers additional features. The availability of these features will depend on your level of financial commitment.
Pricing and Product Packages
As stated, because Grasshopper primarily focuses on smaller businesses, most of their products are available via bundles, rather than using the “per line” model that can be seen in most other VoIP providers. Currently, there are three distinctive packages that small business owners will have to choose from.
- The Solo Package includes 1 number as well as 3 extensions. This package is ideal for entrepreneurs who are just starting out and want to appear more professional. The cost is $29 per month.
- The Partner Package includes 3 numbers and 6 extensions. This is the most popular package and is best for businesses that have multiple employees. This particular package costs $49 per month (the equivalent of $16.33 per number).
- The Small Business Package includes 5 numbers and an unlimited number of extensions. This is the most flexible package and is ideal for businesses expecting rapid growth. The cost of the Small Business Package is $89 (the equivalent of $17.80 per number).
On a per line basis, the Partner Package is the best deal. However, there are numerous other variables that will need to be considered before making any final decisions.
Deciding if Grasshopper Virtual Phone System is Right for You
Fortunately, Grasshopper offers its customers a 30 day money back guarantee. This means that if you decide that their services are no longer worth the cost, you can easily cancel your current services and decide to use a different option. Additionally, if you start with one of the smaller packages and eventually decide that you will need something a bit more extensive, Grasshopper will also give you the option to upgrade.
The three packages mentioned above are relatively similar in terms of their highlighted feature. Ultimately, the Grasshopper Virtual Phone System that is right for you will depend on the size of your business, your budget, and the extent of your needs.
When compared to other VoIP providers, Grasshopper is usually among the more affordable options. Though it does not have the same level of analytics that can be provided by most enterprise level packages, Grasshopper is exceptionally good for small businesses with a basic set of needs. Additionally, being able to choose between a 1-800 and a local phone number is something that is quite valuable.
Overall, Grasshopper is an ideal VoIP provider for small businesses. This company is particularly good for businesses that have 2-3 primary employees. Though they may be missing certain features when compared to their larger alternatives, they have a firm understanding of their market. The company has been able to help more than 300,000 small businesses and may be able to also satisfy your current small business needs.
Andrew is an experienced writer with degrees in Finance and Political Science from the University of Colorado. He also has experience in the real estate and life insurance industries. His other primary interests include economics, entrepreneurship, political philosophy, and nature.