Imagine if you were traveling out of town and you were able to keep a literal eye on your premises. Think what it would be like if someone walked up to your front door and rang your doorbell or left a package while you were away on vacation, and you were able to actually see them—and even speak to them—on your smartphone or tablet.
That is exactly what you can do with a video doorbell. In a way, it is like you are always at home! You may not be there to open the door, but you can still greet your guests and make sure your home is safe.
Thinking about buying a video doorbell, but not sure where to begin? Check out the table below to view features and pricing for top video doorbells on Amazon.com.
|Ring Video Doorbell 2||Check Price on Amazon|
|Ring||Check Price on Amazon|
|Zmodo Greet Pro||Check Price on Amazon|
|Zmodo Greet||Check Price on Amazon|
|SkyBell HD||Check Price on Amazon|
|Nicam Video Doorbell||Check Price on Amazon|
Still not sure what you need? Read on to learn all about video doorbells.
What is a Video Doorbell?
A video doorbell is a wireless device you can attach to the wall next to your door on the outside of your home or office building. It can replace your existing doorbell or function in addition to it. When a visitor presses the button, a signal is sent to your smartphone or tablet. You can answer using your mobile device, whether you are at home, across town, or in another country. You will be able to see and hear the person at your front door through HD video and crystal clear audio. You will also be able to speak with that person directly.
Not only does this offer you unparalleled convenience, but it also enhances your home security setup. Never again will you have to answer the door without knowing exactly who is standing there, and if someone tries to intrude while you are away, you will be able to do something about it.
What devices will you use to interact with your visitors?
Make sure that the mobile devices you plan to use with your video doorbell are compatible. While you are at it, also check your home networking setup. You do not want to purchase a video doorbell only to discover it is incompatible with your router.
Do you have a security system already in place?
If you have a security system in your home like Nest, you may be able to integrate it with certain video doorbells. This can greatly expand the capabilities of the doorbell.
Recommended Features For Wireless Video Doorbell
This is an excellent feature to shop for, because it can activate the camera and record footage of the person standing at your front door even if they never decide to ring the bell. Obviously for security reasons, this is very important. The motion sensor can alert you that someone is standing outside even if that person doesn’t want you to know.
Keep in mind that not all motion sensors are equal. Some work much better than others, so read reviews of the doorbell you are thinking of buying.
Audio and video quality
The higher the quality of the audio and video of your doorbell, the easier it will be to see and communicate with people on your porch. Ideally, you should look for a 1080p image. If you purchase a doorbell which includes a 180-degree field of view, you should be able to monitor the entire area in front of your door. The quality of the audio is also key, especially if you live in a busy urban environment with a lot of traffic noises.
You do not want a complicated and tedious installation and setup process for your video doorbell. The best video doorbells are easy to mount, but also do not pose any technical hassles when it comes to integrating them with your home network and existing security systems. The key to avoiding complications usually is to make sure that all of your devices are going to be compatible in the first place.
Even if you live in a relatively dry part of the world and you are installing your video doorbell under an awning, weather resistance is still an important feature. All it takes is one intense rainstorm to short out an inferior device, and even with an awning, you can end up with sideways rain on a windy day.
So make sure that the video doorbell you are thinking of purchasing can stand up to the rain. This is even more vital if you do live in an area which receives ample precipitation.
Free cloud storage
This is a big deal. Even though you can carry your mobile device around with you everywhere, you are not going to catch every call at your door. You are going to miss visitors while you are busy, while your phone is off, or while you are sleeping or out of signal range.
Cloud storage caches all the videos your doorbell captures, even those you never see or interact with. You can download them to store permanently on your own hard drive as needed. Some doorbells provide you with cloud storage for free; others charge you a monthly fee.
If there is ever a break-in or other crime at your house, you will need the relevant videos to share with the authorities.
One more nice feature to look for with a video doorbell is an indoor chime. While it should ring your mobile device, it can also be nice to have a chime which you can hear throughout your house. Many models include an outdoor chime only.
Now you know how a video doorbell can enhance your home security setup and add convenience to your life. You also know the important features to shop for. Ready to purchase the perfect video doorbell for your needs? Scroll back up to the top of the page to view our comparison chart for highly rated video doorbells on Amazon.com.
1. Ring Video Doorbell 2: A Sleek, Beautiful Video Doorbell Which Delivers
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a video doorbell which can keep you connected with your home and what is going on there regardless of your location. This device has some excellent features, but you should be aware that you may require a subscription in order to enjoy full functionality.
- Monitor your house from any location. Once you have connected the doorbell to your smart phone, you can receive alerts anytime the doorbell detects motion. You can view what is going on in real time with video and audio at any time. Noise cancellation ensures that the audio is crystal clear.
- See what is going on at night. This doorbell is equipped with infrared, which means that you can even get a clear view of activity in front of your doorbell after dark.
- Sleek design. With its contemporary, minimalist appearance, this doorbell looks great wherever you installed it.
- Multiple power options. You can plug this doorbell in, or you can run it on battery power. If it is plugged in, the battery can act as a backup in case of power outages.
- Holds up great to the weather. Even in locations with extreme highs and lows and lots of precipitation, this video doorbell can continue to perform.
- A subscription is needed to view the video recording history. This would not be so big a problem except that the device logs events as being historical after only a very short duration. That means that unless you are available to view an event almost immediately, you require this subscription for the device to offer useful information on events.
2. Ring: Chock Full of Interesting Features
Don’t let this device’s simple name fool you– ring is a full-featured gadget with next gen features that are several notches more advanced than the average video doorbell. Standout features include a night vision capable HD video camera, multi-platform software and motion sensors that activate when someone approaches your home.
- High Definition. This useful gadget allows you to see HD video of whoever is standing in front of your door.
- Night vision. Unlike a normal peep hole, this video doorbell allows you to identify visitors even when it’s dark outside.
- Two power options. You can either use a battery to power this device or plug it directly into a wall socket.
- Senses motion. As soon as someone comes close, the camera switches on.
- Identifies intruders. If a burglar enters your home while you’re away, you can pull up footage of the break in and hand it over to the police.
- Use multiple devices. Ring’s software is compatible with smartphones, tablets and desktop computers.
- Built-in speaker. This doorbell’s speaker allows you to greet your guests no matter where you are in your house when they arrive.
This doorbell doesn’t turn on unless it’s activated by motion, so you can’t look outside with the camera until somebody approaches.
3. Zmodo Greet: An Alexa-Compatible Video Doorbell
If you’re shopping specifically for a video doorbell which is compatible with Alexa, check into the Zmodo Greet. This doorbell is less expensive than the Zmodo Greet Pro, but still offers all the great features you need to enhance your home security and add to your day-to-day convenience.
- High-quality video. Get a wide angle view in 1080p resolution of everything that is going on in front of your doorbell. If you need to, you can raise or lower the brightness to get a clearer view.
- Be alerted when the motion sensor detects movement. The instant, automatic alerts include video, not just still photos.
- Two-way communication. You can talk to people who are standing outside your door using your regular mobile device. This means that you can have a real-time conversation regardless of your location. If you prefer not to answer the doorbell yourself, you can set up a message for visitors.
- Link up to Alexa. If you want to enable voice control, you can connect Zmodo Greet with Alexa.
- Backed by a strong warranty. There is a three year warranty on your video doorbell along with a 60-day money back guarantee.
- Cloud service for video history. This unfortunately requires a subscription, but the product pages for Zmodo Greet our pretty blatant about this fact.
- Customer support may be less than responsive. The customer service team for this product seems to put in the minimum effort on many requests.
4. Zmodo Greet Pro: A Premium Version of the Alexa-Compatible Zmodo Greet
If you are looking to purchase a premium video doorbell, Zmodo Greet Pro is worth considering. This product is in most respects quite similar to the original Zmodo Greet, but it has some additional functionality to justify a higher price.
- Converse with the person at your door. This device can talk to your smartphone or tablet, which means that you can talk through your mobile device to whomever is standing at your door and hear them answer you. As such, even if you are halfway around the world, you can answer your own door. If you do not feel like picking up, an automatic message which you create can play instead. Support for multiple users is included.
- Wide view. The camera captures 180° of video, leaving no questions in your mind as to what is going on in front of your door. With 1080p resolution, you can see clearly.
- Voice control available. If you connect the doorbell to Alexa, you can control it with your voice.
- Dual Band wi-fi support. This feature makes it fast and easy to set up the doorbell, and also can provide for a more reliable continuous connection.
- Cloud Service. If you pay for a subscription, you can enjoy the benefits of Cloud Service, perfect for storing, viewing and sharing clips captured by your doorbell.
- Customer service can be poor. This seems to be a problem with Zmodo altogether. While service is not consistently bad, it is lacking often enough to be a detractor.
Disclosure: TwoWayRadioTalk.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.