These days with our modern technology, there is no reason to ever be out of touch with members of your household. With a wireless intercom system, everyone in your family can communicate effortlessly. This isn’t just a matter of convenience; in many cases, it is a question of safety. Wireless intercom systems are ideal for elderly and disabled adults to keep in touch with caregivers. They also are great for keeping in contact between separate buildings (i.e. a main house and a workshop).
If you want to purchase a wireless intercom system and are not sure where to start in your search, check out our product comparison table below. Here you can view prices and features for top-selling wireless intercoms.
|Check Price on Amazon|
|Check Price on Amazon|
|Check Price on Amazon|
|Check Price on Amazon|
|Samcom FTAN30A||Check Price on Amazon|
If you still are not sure what you need, read on to learn more about wireless intercom systems—how they work, questions to ask, features and more.
What is a Wireless Intercom System?
A wireless intercom system is exactly what it sounds like. You install two or more intercoms in rooms throughout your house and use them to communicate. Unlike walkie-talkies, a wireless intercom system is not publicly accessible. No one from outside can listen in or call you through the intercom, and you cannot contact anyone on outside channels. The intercoms can only be used to respond to one another.
How Does a Wireless Intercom System Work?
A wireless intercom system works by means of radio waves. Wire-free design allows you to avoid the hassle (and tripping hazards) of running cords from room to room, and also allows you to install the system in separate buildings.
How many channels do you need?
Some wireless intercom systems include a single channel, while others provide you with multiple channels. Multiple channels might be useful if you want to be able to hold conversations with one member of your household without everyone else hearing. So for example, if you want to be able to chat with your spouse in the workshop from the kitchen without disturbing your kids working on their homework in the other room, multiple channels would offer you the functionality you need.
Do you need voice operation?
Voice operation is a convenience for some customers, a necessity for others. If you have an elderly or disabled family member using the intercom, he or she may not always be able to push a button to call for help. Voice operation could be a life-saving feature. Keep in mind however that intercom systems are not baby monitors; you cannot use them to continuously monitor a room.
Do you need weather-resistance?
There may be situations where you want to install one of the intercoms outdoors. If so, look for weather-resistance which will protect your device from temperature swings, moisture, and dust.
How do you want to mount your intercoms?
Some intercoms are designed to sit on a desk or counter, while others are built to be mounted to your wall. There are intercoms which you install permanently and others which are portable and which you can easily move from room to room or building to building.
Recommended Features For Wireless Intercom System
Most wireless intercom systems offer a range up to 1,000 feet. If you have line of sight, you will be able to maximize the range, but intercoms are designed to transmit and receive effectively through walls. Range is most important if you have a very large house or you will be installing your system in separate structures.
Most intercom systems use standard AA batteries. This is good because it is easy to replace them without spending a ton of money. In terms of battery life, you will see some variation, but you can typically expect around four months in standby mode. The more you use the intercom, the sooner you will have to replace them.
When you purchase your intercom system, it will likely include two units you can set up in your house. If you want to be able to communicate with more rooms, you will need more intercoms. Check to see if the models you are interested in support scalability. This allows you to add more intercom stations as you need them. The option to add a large number of intercoms may be particularly important if you are purchasing the intercom system for business use.
Some intercom systems are far more intuitive than others. Look for intercoms which you can operate by hand or voice with ease, and which provide you with a number of different options for communication. The best wireless intercom systems include pager capabilities but also the option to speak with just one respondent.
Noise Cancellation and Clarity
Noise cancellation is a very important feature in a wireless intercom system because chances are good that you will be communicating over all kinds of background noise. Someone may have music playing or a TV or console on. So look for an intercom which will screen out this noise automatically. You can even find intercoms which give you some level of manual control. By customizing sensitivity settings, you can choose which noises to screen out.
Fast and Easy Installation
Setting up an intercom system may be easy or it may be a challenge depending on the model you buy and your level of tech expertise. Read customer reviews to find out how quickly you can expect to get up and running and how useful the user manual will be.
Now you know all the important features for wireless intercom systems and questions you should ask yourself when you are shopping for a system for your own home. Scroll back up to the top of the page to view our product comparison chart. We have made it easy for you to compare prices and features for top wireless intercom systems at a glance!
1. Hosmart HY777: A Long Range Intercom System For Any Purpose
Customers who are searching for an intercom system with the long range needed for communication in a large home or office will want to take a look at the Hosmart HY777 Wireless Intercom System. Available in black or white, this system is available with anywhere from 1-6 stations. That means you can order exactly what you need for your home or workplace setting.
- Excellent range. In perfect conditions, this intercom system works across a distance of around half a mile. Of course, the real-life range through walls is lower, but still quite good. The frequency range is 462.6250 – 467.6125 (MHz).
- Easy to get started. You do not need to carry out complex installation procedures to get going; setup is practically instant.
- Scale to your needs. As mentioned, you can buy up to 6 units in a set. But you have the option to support an unrestricted number of stations.
- Multi-channel use supported. If you want different units on different channels, you can set that up.
- Monitor mode. This can run for 10 hours at a time.
- Vox mode. This can run 24 hours a day.
- Walkie talkies available. You have the option of purchasing a version of the intercom system which comes with walkie talkies.
- Volume issues. These do not afflict the majority of devices, but a minority of units may be shipped out with volume problems and/or static.
2. Samcom FTAN20A: A Digital FM Wireless Intercom System Ideal for the Home or Workplace
Looking for a digital FM wireless intercom system which you can use in your home or office? With 20 channels available, the Samcom FTAN20A is perfect for professional use, but also provides the flexibility needed to serve communication needs in a large household.
- Supports lots of units and channels. You can connect up to 19 of these intercom units together. Indeed, you can purchase up to 12 units at a time. With this scalability and 20 channels available, this system is ideal for large offices.
- Multiple communication modes are offered. These include one-to-one, one-to-many, and group call.
- Portable. You can use a power bank to supply these devices, which gives you the ability to transport them and set them up wherever you want to use them.
- Range is up to 1,000 feet. That should be more than sufficient for most environments. Keep in mind that obstructions such as walls and floors will reduce effective range.
- Noise reduction. This feature helps to provide for clear, crisp sound.
- Excellent warranty. You get lifetime support when you buy this intercom system. This is far better than the limited warranty periods which many intercoms include.
- Includes everything you need to get started. Your purchase comes with the intercom units (however many you select) and the necessary power adapters and USB cables for each.
- Lag affects some units. This is pretty rare, however, and may also have to do with the setting where you are using them.
3. Samcom FTAN30A: A Wireless Intercom System for Any Purpose
Samcom FTAN30A is a wireless intercom system built for home or workplace use. Offering 20 channels and a range of features for ease-of-use and versatility, it can be adapted to fit most personal and professional needs. Additionally, it is backed by Samcom’s great support.
- Can be used as a monitor. Simply push the “monitor” button to initiate this mode. This is a useful feature if you want to monitor a baby or elderly family member from another room.
- Multiple communication modes. You can speak privately with one person using the one-to-one mode, or you can switch to one-to-many if you wish to address multiple people.
- Vox mode. With this mode, you can enjoy the convenience of hands-free communication.
- Noise reduction. This keeps communications sharp and clear.
- Power options. There are a variety of power options available for these intercom units. You can use the AC adaptor and USB cord, or you can select a power bank. There is a built-in 2000mAh battery, which means that you can take the intercom system to any location and use it. It also means that you can run this intercom during a power outage.
- Lifetime warranty. However long you want to use these intercoms, you can be assured of support from Samcom.
- Low-quality manual. The directions for setting up the intercom and using it are not all that great. Nonetheless, it is pretty easy to use once you do learn the basics.
Disclosure: TwoWayRadioTalk.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.