Looking for a set of two-way radios which you can use in any weather conditions, on land or at sea? Waterproof two-way radios are perfect for storm preparedness as well as kayaking, sailing, fishing, and other water-based activities. Many of these radios can not only withstand splashes of water or falling droplets of rain, but can also be submersed in a body of water without losing their functionality. Some models are even designed to float. That way you can recover them if you drop them at sea or in a lake.
If you are shopping for a waterproof 2-way radio set and are not sure where to begin, the table below can help you compare prices and features on top models.
If you still need more guidance while shopping for waterproof 2-way radios, read on to learn all about them.
What is a Waterproof Two-Way Radio?
A waterproof 2-way radio is what it sounds like: a walkie talkie set designed to withstand water exposure without getting damaged.
But the definition of “waterproof” is a little more complicated than a lot of consumers realize. The term is used quite casually, but really “waterproof” radios might fall under any of the following categories:
This type of radio can function in cold or damp conditions. It may not actually be water resistant at all.
This type of radio can hold up to especially harsh weather conditions, but it still may be damaged by water exposure.
This type of radio will function in most rainy situations, and may also hold up to splashing.
This radio may withstand heavier rainfall and may also be submersible.
Within each category you will find JIS and IP ratings. These classify radios more specifically and tell you exactly what kind of water exposure they can survive. Also note that even submersible radios will not survive indefinitely underwater. Eventually all waterproof devices succumb. So you want to fish out your radios as quickly as you can.
Questions to Ask When Shopping for a Waterproof Two-Way Radio
Where will you use your radios?
If you are shopping for a radio you will take hunting in the woods in occasional rain, you probably do not need the same level of waterproofing you would if you were going to take your radio with you on a sailboat.
What is the purpose of your waterproof radios?
You also should ask yourself what you will be using your radio for. Is it to stay connected during an emergency in a region which receives a lot of flooding? Is it for sailing or kayaking or other recreational purposes? Your purpose will help inform the features you need to shop for.
Do you actually need a marine radio?
In some cases, you may actually be shopping for a marine radio, not a waterproof two-way radio. 2-way radios do not for example offer hailing. If you need features like that, a marine radio is more appropriate.
Features and Add-Ons to Look For When Shopping for a Waterproof Two-Way Radio
Be sure to check the actual JIS or IP rating when you are picking out a waterproof 2-way radio set. Look up exactly what it means so you know what kind of exposure your radio will be able to tolerate.
While many radios advertise a range “up to 35 miles” or more, in most settings the effective real range will be anywhere from one to three miles—sometimes even less in an urban setting. If you are out on the water though, you may actually get a longer range since you will be using your radios in unobstructed conditions.
If you are buying a waterproof radio, weather is obviously something you are concerned with. NOAA weather alerts will apprise you of inclement conditions. If you can use those alerts to avoid getting your radios wet in the first place, you will stay safer. If you do get caught in harsh weather, NOAA alerts may help you to find the best route back to calm conditions.
Some waterproof two-way radios can actually float. This can be very handy if you are going to be sailing or kayaking. In fact, in a survival situation, it could be downright critical.
VOX, squelch and other special features
There are a lot of other great features you can shop for in a 2-way radio set. VOX allows for hands-free operation while squelch reduces background noise, boosting clarity. Rewind allows you to replay calls you missed or didn’t understand, and so on. All of these features can add value to your purchase.
Now you know what to shop for in a waterproof 2-way radio set. Scroll back up to the top of this article to take a closer look at our comparison chart, where you can begin your search for the ideal waterproof radios to meet your needs!
Cobra ACXT1035R FLT: the Best Looking 2-Way Radio Out There
Like all Cobra products, the ACXT1035R sports a distinct, stylish design. In addition to its good looks, the ACXT1035R is also one of the best performing 2-way radios on the market right now.
- Stylish design. With the ACXT1035R, you get a very cool looking 2-way radio that looks like it belongs to a Cobra Commando.
- Costs much less than a smartphone. Why risk losing your smartphone in the woods when you can buy the ACXT1035R for just a few bucks?
- Good for camping. This walkie talkie has a built-in flashlight that’s surprisingly bright.
- Waterproof. As long as you use the right kind of batteries, the ACXT1035R won’t stop working if you accidently drop it in water.
- Encrypt your conversation. If you want privacy, just use a code to encrypt your conversation.
- Backlit screen. It’s easy to use this walkie talkie in the dark because it features a backlit screen.
- Micro USB port. As long as you have access to a USB port, you can charge the ACXT1035R anywhere.
- For some reason, Cobra decided to position a row of buttons above the display instead of below it.
- The screen shows lots of useful information. The only problem is that the display looks a bit crowded at times as a result.
Uniden GMR5095-2CKHS: Rugged and Fully Submersible
If you’re looking for an indestructible walkie talkie, consider picking up Uniden’s GMR5095-2CKHS. Not only can it survive water submersion, it also can absorb shocks and resist dings and nicks.
- Waterproof. The GMR5095-2CKHS will keep on working even when submersed in water for several minutes.
- Inexpensive. Even though it has a lot of features and works quite well, this walkie talkie from Uniden is surprisingly inexpensive.
- Works well in forest environments. Some walkie talkies struggle in woodland environments, but you can get 2 to 3 miles out of the GMR5095-2CKHS in almost any forest.
- Universal charger. Get a fresh charge via USB or just plug it into the included charging dock.
- Weather alerts. NOAA weather alarms will keep you aware of the weather situation at all times.
- Comes with a headset. Unlike many walkie talkies that come with cheapo accessories, the GMR5095-2CKHS’s stock headset is actually quite nice.
- You can use it in the dark. The GMR5095-2CKHS’s display is simple but effective– and it’s fully backlit.
- In a perfect world, the GMR5095-2CKHS has a 50 mile range. But in real life, all you’ll hear is static if the person you’re trying to talk to is more than 10 miles away.
- Like many waterproof walkie talkies, the GMR5095-2CKHS’s buttons are a bit hard to press. However, they do loosen up over time.