Over the past few years, an increasing number of home owners have been looking for new ways to improve their in-home communication systems. Fortunately, due to recent developments in technology that have also made things more affordable, there are currently more dynamic systems you have access to than ever before.
In this article, we will discuss the revolutionary concept of VoIP Systems that have helped add value to people’s homes in a variety of different ways. By taking the time to do your research, understand the value that these systems can present, and compare your different options, you should be able to find a system that can help satisfy your specific set of needs.
Frequently Asked Questions about Residential VoIP Systems
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions (and answers) about residential VoIP systems:
1. What is a residential VoIP System?
VoIP is an abbreviation for Voice over Internet Protocol—essentially, this is a modern way of delivering voice communications in a way that is more efficient than previous models. With the best VoIP systems, you will have access to both voice and video chats as well as a wide variety of other features.
VoIP System providers recognize that the internet has given home owners a new range of possibilities. These systems have a wide variety of features and functions that many traditional home phone lines (land lines) simply cannot provide. However, despite the fact that many of these systems are more inclusive than their traditional counterparts, must people have found that by making the switch, they can still save a significant amount of money on their monthly phone bills.
2. How can a residential VoIP System improve my home?
With each passing year, an increasing number of families in the United States—and elsewhere around the world—are making the decision to abandon their landline and look for something that is a bit more modern. Fortunately, with a wide variety of different VoIP providers to choose from, making this switch is something that is remarkably easy.
From a homeowner’s perspective, upgrading to a VoIP system can add value to your home in a variety of different ways.
- Improve your previous communication system by adding features such as video communications and other internet functions.
- Add value to your home by being able to communicate between multiple different rooms with ease.
- Decrease your monthly expenses so you can invest your earnings in something else.
- Increase clarity, quality, and delivery of your everyday phone calls.
These systems are also incredibly beneficial for individuals who frequently need to be doing business from home. Having the ability to quickly and efficiently communicate with other people is an essential component of being a modern homeowner.
3. How can I find the best VoIP System for me?
Naturally, in an industry that has been growing as rapidly as VoIP, there are many different providers that you can potentially choose from. At a quick glance, the amount of providers available can often be quite overwhelming. By using a few time-tested comparison shopping strategies, you can help narrow down the list and make your final decision.
- Ask for referrals: with more and more families switching from traditional land lines to VoIP services each year, you may very well have family or friends who have already made the switch and can recommend a provider for you.
- Read online reviews: the best residential VoIP providers are the ones who have already established an extensive service history and will have satisfied customers willing to defend. Though online reviews should obviously be taken with a grain of salt, this is certainly a great way for you to get started.
Once you have created a shortlist of the top three or so VoIP providers you are considering using for your home, it might be a good idea to speak with a representative and ask them any of the questions that you might currently have. Even if you end up choosing the first provider you consider, speaking with a representative can still help you feel more confident in your final decision.
- What kind of solutions can you provide for my home?
- Why should I choose you as my VoIP provider?
- What level of speed can you provide?
- What customer service options are currently available?
- How much do your systems cost per month? Are there different packages available?
- What are the different features that your systems currently have to offer?
This is just a brief list of questions you could potentially ask—anything else that comes to mind during your conversation is certainly worthy of being brought up!
4. What features should I be looking for in a residential VoIP system?
Ultimately, in addition to price, the aspect of a VoIP System that you will be most interested in learning about is the various features that it has to offer. Many service providers will also offer multiple different packages in order to address a wider range of needs. This means that you should not only take the time to compare different service providers, but also compare the different packages that they have available.
Here are some of the most relevant features that you might be looking for:
- Call forwarding and call routing
- Voicemail to email transcript
- Video communications with your front door
- Voice communications between different rooms
- Call waiting and music on hold
- Do not disturb, auto attendant, and call screening
- Voice conferencing and video conferencing
- Any other features that you consider relevant
As you can probably tell, VoIP communication systems are considerably more inclusive with features than many of the alternatives of the past.
There are plenty of reasons that homeowners everywhere are making the decision to abandon their current home communications in favor of something more fit for the 21st Century. As time goes on, there will certainly be an increasing number of VoIP providers available as well as an increased number of features that they offer. You may be surprised just how affordable a residential VoIP system might be. By taking the time to do your research and compare the different options you have available, you can add a significant amount of value to your home.
Andrew is an experienced writer with degrees in Finance and Political Science from the University of Colorado. He also has experience in the real estate and life insurance industries. His other primary interests include economics, entrepreneurship, political philosophy, and nature.