Tired of throwing away disposable batteries all the time? Wish you could stop purchasing new batteries? If you are looking to cut back on expenses and waste and simplify your life, rechargeable batteries are the way to do it. But in order to use rechargeable batteries, you need a way to restore their charge, and for that, you are going to need a charger. AA batteries are the most common type of battery used in most devices, so that typically means purchasing a AA battery charger. Not all chargers are equal though, so this purchase does take some thought.
Looking for the best AA battery charger? Check out the comparison chart below for prices and features on top models.
|Panasonic BQ-CC17SBA||Check Price on Amazon|
|La Crosse Technology BC1000||Check Price on Amazon|
|EBL-999||Check Price on Amazon|
|EBL-808||Check Price on Amazon|
Still looking to learn more before you shop? Read on to learn all about AA battery chargers.
What is a AA Battery Charger?
AA battery chargers are precisely what they sound like; they are devices which can be used to restore the charge inside reusable AA batteries.
How Does a AA Battery Charger Work?
Using a AA battery charger could not be simpler. You just plug it into the wall, insert the batteries, and wait a few hours while the charger fills up your batteries with power again. You then take out the batteries and use them in your devices. When they run out of charge, you put them back in the charger.
What types of batteries do you need to recharge?
Not every battery charger is designed to accommodate every kind of battery. You should not for example try to recharge a NiCd battery in a charger built for NiMH batteries. Make sure you buy the right type of charger for the batteries you plan to use.
How many batteries do you need to recharge?
If you go through a lot of batteries on a regular basis, you should purchase a charger which includes a lot of docking stations.
Recommended Features For AA Battery Charger
This is a safety feature which will turn off the charger automatically when it detects that your batteries are fully charged. This is a feature you will find in a “smart” charger.
Another “smart” charger feature is trickle charge. Basically, if you leave your batteries in the charger after they are done charging, the trickle charge feature will top up the charge periodically so that the batteries will still be at a full charge when you remove them.
Need to run out the door? Quick charge is a feature which will charge up your batteries using a high burst of power. So instead of waiting several hours, you might wait just 15 minutes. The charge will not last as long as a slow charge, but it can be very handy in a hurry.
Detection for overheating
This safety feature will shut off charging if it detects that your batteries are overheating.
LCD display or indicator lights
The best smart chargers include indicator lights or LCD displays which inform you about the charging progress.
If at all possible, you should purchase a “smart charger.” These days, smart AA battery chargers are very affordable. They are the safest and most effective chargers on the market, and will do a great job keeping your devices up and running. Ready to shop? Scroll back up to the top of the page to take a closer look at our comparison chart. There you can check out the features and prices for highly-rated AA battery chargers on Amazon.com!
La Crosse Technology BC700: Smart Charge Capable
The BC700 from La Crosse offers a highly efficient, totally safe way to power up your rechargeables when they’re running low on juice. Like many modern battery chargers, the BC700 is “trickle charge” capable. In other words, its intelligent internal electronics deliver just the right amount of electricity into your batteries.
- Versatility. This charger can fill up double A, triple A, nickel–metal hydride and nickel-cadmium batteries.
- Surge resistant. An MCU electrical safeguard kicks in if it detects any kind of unusual voltage pattern.
- Smart charging. This charger can detect when it’s time to shift into “trickle charge” mode, thus avoiding inefficient and dangerous overheating.
- More power. Most chargers operate at 2.4V, but this one charges batteries faster because it is rated at 2.8V.
- Status lights. LED indicators show you if your batteries are ready or not.
- Works in Europe. So long as you have the right kind of adapter, you can use this charger in Europe or anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use. Just plug in a pair of batteries and take them out when they’re ready.
- This battery charger does not charge single batteries. You need at least two of the same type of rechargeables to use this device.
EBL-999: Lots of Charging Bays
The first thing you’ll notice about the EBL-999 is its jumbo sized LCD charge status display. However, this charger’s best feature is its charging bays. The EBL-999’s bays are super efficient and smart charge ready. Plus, there are a lot of them– 10 in all. Additionally, all the EBL-999’s charging bays accept singles.
- Extends battery life. The EBL-999’s integrated MCU controller regulates the amount of voltage going into your rechargeables, thus allowing them to last much longer than they would with an ordinary charger.
- Charges singles. Unlike most battery chargers, this one is capable of charging one battery at a time.
- Big LCD display. The extra long charging status display screen is more accurate compared to the simple light system found on other chargers.
- Trickle charge capable. Trickle charge mode prevents overheating and further extends the life of your rechargeable batteries.
- Lots of charging bays. The EBL-999 can handle 10 batteries at a time.
- Super compatible. This charger accepts many battery types including double A, triple A and even 9V rechargeable batteries.
- Handles any capacity. Low quality chargers can only handle regular capacity rechargeables, but this one can handle high capacity ones as well.
- The extra large LCD display is easy to read if you look at it head on, but you won’t see anything if you view it at an angle.
Disclosure: TwoWayRadioTalk.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.