Kids love walkie-talkies. They are perfect for playing spy games and for keeping in touch with friends while running around the neighborhood. They also provide you with another way that you can stay in contact with your kids. When it’s time for dinner, just call them back to the house on their walkie-talkies. But shopping for walkie talkies for kids isn’t easy. Some models are simply too complicated for kids to use—and many are also a bit too expensive. Thankfully there are a few choices out there which are ideal.
Looking for kids’ walkie talkies, but not sure where to start? Check out top models in the comparison below.
|UOKOO||Check Price on Amazon|
|Retevis RT628||Check Price on Amazon|
|Sokos||Check Price on Amazon|
|Little Pretender||Check Price on Amazon|
Still not positive way you need to look for in kids’ walkie talkies? Read on to learn everything you need to know to make the best purchase.
What are Kids’ Walkie Talkies?
Technically, “kids’ walkie talkies” are any walkie talkies which are used by children.
There are a couple of categories here:
Cheap walkie-talkies which are designed specifically for children. These are toys and are typically sold in toy stores.
Actual walkie talkies which anyone can use. These are designed for adults, but kids love them too.
It is recommended that you avoid the cheap toy walkie talkies. They typically get almost nothing in terms of range (often they are limited to 20 feet or less), and they break at the slightest provocation. Furthermore, they provide only limited use. You cannot for example make any serious use of them on a family trip.
If you buy your kids real walkie talkies, they will provide a much better range and will stand up to wear and tear. As a bonus, the entire family can use them.
Questions to Ask When Shopping for Kids’ Walkie Talkies
How old are your children?
If you are shopping for walkie talkies for children who are five years old, that is much different than shopping for children who are ten or eleven. If you are buying these for younger children, it is extra important to make sure that they are very easy to use. Older children will have a much easier time learning about advanced features (and may enjoy doing so). Young children however really just need the basics.
What kind of environment do you live in?
If you live out in the country, you will have a much easier time getting range on walkie talkies than you would in the suburbs or the city. So if you do live in an environment like the city where there are a lot of obstructions, you need to shop for a walkie talkie set with a longer range. You might consider aftermarket antennas to extend that range as well.
Will you also be using the walkie talkies?
You can justify spending a bit more money on a set of walkie talkies for your kids if you will also occasionally be using them. You may also want to shop for more advanced features if so. Walkie talkies are very handy when you are on vacation, and you will doubtless find other uses for them as well.
Features and Add-Ons to Look For When Shopping for Kids’ Walkie Talkies
This is especially important when shopping for walkie talkies for young children. Large buttons and simple, clear functionality are what you are in the market for—not complicated features. Check user reviews to see how intuitive the walkie talkies are before you buy them.
A long range is important in walkie talkies, but you need to be aware of how range on walkie talkies plays out in real life before you go shopping.
Many walkie talkies advertise “up to 30 miles of range.” The key words here are “up to.” When the packaging on a set of walkie talkies makes a claim like this, it only applies to a completely unobstructed area like a totally flat field. In most environments, you should be happy if you get two miles of range.
Of course, your kids probably do not need more than that since they will be playing in the local neighborhood. Just keep in mind that walkie talkies which list a shorter range (15 miles for example) may be unusable in certain city environments which are heavily obstructed.
Kids are usually not all too careful when they are playing. Their walkie talkies will be dropped in puddles and mud and used in rain and shine. So consider shopping for a set which includes at least some basic weatherproofing.
Children can be quite rough when playing, and their walkie talkies are probably going to be subjected to all kinds of abuse. They may be dropped on sidewalks and other hard surfaces. Buy walkie talkies with a rugged design which can hold up to all that wear and tear.
During the summertime, just think how much use these walkie talkies will be getting. Shop for models which offer a long battery life. This is helpful for your kids and for you.
Call tone, VOX, auto-squelch, and other useful features
Finally, there are a host of other handy features which are great to look for when you are shopping for walkie talkies for your kids. Obviously your children do not need the most advanced state-of-the-art two-way radios, but a few features are nice to have and are more or less standard.
A call tone is useful as it sounds out to alert your kids when they call each other. Auto-squelch helps to reduce the static which interferes with clear transmissions. VOX is a hands-free feature, excellent for children who are running around playing and who may not want to actually push buttons every time they need to talk.
Now you know what features are most important to look for when you are shopping for kids’ walkie talkies. If you are ready to find the perfect walkie talkies for your children, scroll back up to our comparison chart at the top of the page!
UOKOO Kids Walkie Talkies: Great for Small Children Who Want to Use a Real Walkie Talkie
The UOKOO Kids Walkie Talkies set is designed specifically for small children with small hands. The units are compact and offer a range of up to 3.7 miles. They are reasonably priced and popular among buyers for their sturdy design and great features.
- Compact design. The compact design of these walkie talkies makes them easy for young children to carry and use. This is very important since standard walkie talkies are too big for young kids to operate. They are suitable for ages 6 and up, though some customers said they were fine for even younger children.
- Real walkie-talkies. While they are built for children, these walkie talkies are more than just toys—they are real working units providing up to 3.7 miles of range in ideal conditions.
- Auto-squelch. Auto-squelch reduces background noise for clear transmissions.
- Long talk time. AAA batteries can power the walkie-talkies for up to 3.5 hours of continuous use or 9 hours on standby.
- Plenty of channels. 22 channels with 38 sub-channels.
- Belt clip included. There is a belt clip so that children do not have to carry the walkie talkies in their hands all the time. This can help protect the devices while kids are running around outside.
- Battery status indicator. Kids will be able to see at a glance when they need to switch out the batteries.
- Backlit LED display. Children can play in the dark with their walkie-talkies thanks to a backlit screen.
- Mini LED torch. A mini LED torch adds functionality and doubles as a handy safety feature.
- Some customers said that the battery life drains quickly.
- Reviews on durability were mixed. Some buyers said that the walkie-talkies survived multiple drops, while others said that they fell apart quickly.
Retevis RT628: Simple and Easy to Use for Kids
Retevis RT628 walkie-talkies are small, lightweight, and affordable, and designed with children in mind. Far from mere toys, these are fully functional communication devices, making them a fun and educational gift. Nonetheless, they are built to be easy to use so that even young kids can grasp the basics without too much trouble.
- Compact and lightweight. These handheld units are small and lightweight so that they can be carried around with ease even by tiny hands. There is also a belt hook so that kids can run around with them without dropping or losing them.
- Easy talk feature. Even with powerful functionality, ease-of-use is forefront in the design with a large, simple talk button.
- Range is impressive. The range is not specified on the seller’s page, but users confirm that it is significant.
- Lots of channels. 22 FRS and GMRS channels.
- Hands-free operation. VOX for hands-free operation lets children hook their walkie-talkies to their belts and simply speak to operate them. This means they are less likely to drop them while they are playing, and they can enjoy more active outdoor games.
- Back-lit screen. Kids can play with their walkie-talkies after nightfall with the aid of a back-lit screen.
- High and low power settings. It is possible to adjust power upward to boost transmission range, or downward to conserve battery.
- Cool design. The fun, colorful design is one that kids will love.
- The batteries can run out quickly and regularly need to be replaced.
- Some customers received non-working units (perhaps damaged in shipping). Thankfully these buyers were in a clear minority.
Sokos Walkie Talkies for Kids: Ideal First Set For Kids
The Sokos Walkie Talkie set for kids is designed to offer children a simple, easy-to-use product which contains all the functionality of grown-up walkie talkies. These mini handheld devices come in bright, fun colors, and are surprisingly sturdy.
- Rugged build. Buyers mentioned that these are very sturdy and do not look or feel like toys. Even though they are inexpensive and designed for children, they are built to last.
- Crystal clear audio. Thanks to auto squelch, these walkie talkies transmit crisp audio.
- Easy for young children to use. There is a learning curve with these, but it is not too steep, and most kids should pick up the basics of operation pretty fast.
- Compact design for small hands. Unlike standard walkie talkies, these Sokos units are designed with a small profile so that young children can hold them and push the buttons without needing to use both hands.
- Long battery life. You get up to 3.5 hours of continuous operation on a single charge, or up to 9 hours on standby mode.
- Numerous other great features. There are quite a few excellent features which add to the functionality of these two-way radios. These include channel lock, channel scan, low battery alert, and even a built-in flashlight.
- There may be some issues involving quality control. A few buyers said their walkie talkies did not last long. This is a very small minority however, and there do not seem to be any consistent complaints.
Little Pretender: Two-Way Radio Set For Children
If you are searching for functional FRS two-way radios which were designed for children, then the Little Pretender set fits the bill. These radios are compact, easy to learn how to operate, and offer a surprisingly good range considering they were built for play.
- Range up to 2 miles. This is pretty impressive for toy radios. They should work great in and around the house.
- 3 channels available. This is a useful privacy feature for kids who are playing games. For example, with a game involving two opposing teams, it is possible to set up separate team channels.
- Bright LCD display. Small children will find the bright LCD display easy to read.
- Compact but durable. Kids’ hands are small, and as a result, they may find adult-sized walkie talkies hard to use. These units are small, ergonomic, and comfortable. They are also rugged enough to stand up to the kind of abuse that kids are likely to subject them to.
- Easy to use. The learning curve with the Little Pretender set is not too steep. Even small kids can pick up on how to use these fairly fast.
- Built-in flashlight and belt clip included. These walkie talkies would be pretty cool even if they included nothing more than the most basic features. But they do have some nifty extras which make them even more exciting for children.
- There are quality control issues. Some units stop working after a short period of time. Most however deliver great performance over the long term.