“Now where did I put my keys again? Where did the cat run off to? Where on earth did my son leave his phone?”
If you tend towards being absent-minded—or you have family members who do—a Bluetooth tracker is one of the handiest little devices you will ever come across. With a Bluetooth tracker, you can find your lost items, pets, and people instantly without searching around. This restores both time and peace of mind.
Interested in purchasing a Bluetooth tracker, but not sure where to start in your search? Check out the product comparison table below to view features and prices for highly-rated trackers.
|Tile Mate||Check Price on Amazon|
|Tile Slim||Check Price on Amazon|
Still don’t know what you need? Read on to learn all about Bluetooth trackers!
What is a Bluetooth Tracker?
Imagine if there were a tiny fob you could attach to a keychain, a suitcase handle, or a pet collar. If you lost that item but still had access to your mobile device, you could send a signal from your mobile to the fob, which would produce a loud ring tone. You could then find the item straight away. And if the ring tone weren’t enough, you could check a handy map on your mobile which would show the last known location of the item.
That is exactly what a Bluetooth tracker is! You just attach the fob to your item, and you can “call” the item and make it ring just like you would a lost phone. And guess what? If you have lost a phone and it is turned off, you can still make it ring just like you would if it were on!
How Does a Bluetooth Tracker Work?
As the name indicates, a Bluetooth tracker works using Bluetooth networking technology—the same short-range wireless technology which is installed on your desktop, laptop or mobile device.
What device(s) will you use to control the Bluetooth tracker?
Most Bluetooth trackers are widely compatible with a range of devices, but you should always do your research before you make a purchase. Make sure that the tracker will be able to talk to your devices.
Are you willing to pay ongoing costs?
Does the Bluetooth tracker come with a proprietary battery, or can you use a standardized battery (i.e. a watch battery)? If the battery is proprietary, you will have to purchase your replacements from the manufacturer. They may be more expensive than standard batteries, so in essence you are on a subscription model. You may be just fine with this, but always know what your continuing costs will be before you commit to a purchase.
What will you use the tracker for?
It is always a good idea to think about how you plan to use a Bluetooth tracker before you buy it. Different features are important for different applications. For example, if you will be giving the tracker to a pet or a child, you will want to look for a child- and pet-safe device with an inaccessible battery.
Recommended Features For Bluetooth Tracker
Some Bluetooth trackers are significantly smaller than others, and also thinner. The thinnest models aren’t much thicker than a credit card. So you can easily slip them into a pocket or store them anywhere else while keeping their profiles low. Some fobs are designed to be aesthetically pleasing as well, so even if they are visible, they don’t create a disruption.
Always shop for a Bluetooth tracker which is built out of sturdy materials. It is easy for a tracker to get stepped on or even sat on (picture if you attach one to your phone and then drop it under a pillow on your sofa). The more durable your tracker is, the more abuse it will be able to take.
You will find Bluetooth trackers which offer a degree of water-resistance or even waterproofing on the market. These are excellent in case you do something like take your keys swimming with you. You may also find trackers which are sold with waterproof sleeves. That way you can submerge them fully even if they are not 100% waterproof themselves.
You are not going to get a huge range with Bluetooth trackers, but you should look for a device that offers you the maximum and which performs reliably even with walls and other obstructions in the way. A radius of around 100 feet is typical.
Some trackers will only ring your device if you need to find it, but others include additional useful features. For example, some trackers will send you an alert if an object goes outside the range of your mobile device or home wi-fi. That way you will know right away if you need to track something down.
Another special feature is crowdsourcing to find lost items. Basically, everyone who is using the devices manufactured by a brand offering this service are all essentially tapped into the same network. So if your item is lost out of range but another customer happens to walk past it, an alert is automatically generated and sent out to you pinpointing the item’s location on a map. You can then go and retrieve it. What is awesome about this is that you are utilizing other people to find your items, but your privacy is protected. They are not consciously helping you out; the network is doing all the work.
You will find other cool features if you hunt around. Some devices for example can function as remote controls to open and close your garage door, etc. Others can play MP3s and so on.
So now you know all about Bluetooth trackers! They really are incredible little gadgets which can make your life a whole lot easier. Ready to shop? Scroll back up to the top of the page to take a closer look at our comparison table. There you can view features and prices for top-selling highly rated Bluetooth trackers.
1. Tile Mate: An All-Purpose Bluetooth Tracker with Reliable Performance
Those in search of a simple way to keep track of keys, phones and other belongings may find what they need in Tile Mate. This popular Bluetooth tracker offers a simple, versatile way to find your misplaced possessions. With weather resistance and long battery life, it is a solution you can depend on.
- Impressively lightweight. This version of Tile is 25% smaller than the original. It can fit on a keychain, or it can be attached to a pet’s collar.
- Find your items with ease. Tile Mate not only can show you the locations of your misplaced items on a map, it also can make them ring. It also can tell you where you last saw an item. Send a signal through the smartphone app, and you can locate your items just by listening. If you still are unable to find what you are looking for, the Tile community can help you search.
- Water resistant. With an IP57 rating, Tile Mate can withstand some exposure to the elements. This is perfect for pet owners.
- Long battery life. The battery can last for up to a year before needing to be replaced.
- Some units seem to have a short lifespan. Tile Mates occasionally seem to stop working after just a few months. This flaw only affects a minority of units however. The vast majority work great for a long time.
2. Tile Slim: An Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Tracker That Fits Anywhere
Looking for the ultimate low profile Bluetooth tracking device? Tile Slim is so thin that it can fit inside your wallet. It can even be adhered to a laptop computer. With Tile Slim, you can track just about anything.
- Amazingly thin. The Tile Slim is roughly as thick as two credit cards held together. This means that you can fit it pretty much anywhere. You can even purchase adhesives to attach it to items such as tablets or binders.
- Locate items the easy way. With the Tile app, you can keep track of the most recent locations where you saw your misplaced items. You also can locate them by signalling them to ring (you may choose from four ringtones). Finally, you can search through the Tile network and find your item on a map once a connected phone detects it.
- Discounts are available for upgrades. If you want to replace your Tile Slim at a discount with a newer, more powerful model, simply wait a year. At that point, you will be eligible for an exclusive markdown on an upgrade.
- Wide compatibility. Tile Slim can be used with a range of Android and iOS devices.
- There may be connectivity issues. These do not seem to affect most Tile Slims, but some units may suffer defects. This seems to be an issue which applies to most Bluetooth trackers, however.
Disclosure: TwoWayRadioTalk.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.