When Bluetooth earpieces were originally introduced to the market, they gained popularity as travel accessories. But now they are widely used both personally and professionally by millions of people who are in need of a hands-free way to communicate with friends, family and colleagues, or listen to music. Whether you are driving, walking, working, or simply looking for a more convenient way to get more out of your smartphone every day, a Bluetooth earpiece is the way to eliminate wires and free up your hands. Evolutions in technology have made these devices more comfortable and intuitive than ever.
In the market for a Bluetooth earpiece of your own, but not sure where to start shopping? Below you can compare prices and features for top Bluetooth earpieces on Amazon.com.
|Plantronics Voyager Legend|
|Plantronics Marque 2|
|Plantronics Explorer 50|
|Plantronics Voyager Edge|
Still not sure what you need? Read on to learn all about Bluetooth earpieces.
What is a Bluetooth Earpiece?
A Bluetooth earpiece is precisely what its name indicates. You wear the earpiece in or over your ear, and Bluetooth wireless technology links it to your mobile device. You can then listen to music or have a conversation without relying on your smartphone’s speaker or dealing with the hassle of cables. These days, Bluetooth earpieces have evolved to the point where they can detect actions, listen to verbal commands, and more. This means you can use the earpiece to help you control your mobile device as well, allowing for hands-free operation.
Questions to Ask When Shopping for a Bluetooth Earpiece
What type of earpiece do you need?
Bluetooth earpieces include mono and stereo models. Mono models fit over just one ear, while stereo models provide you with sound in both your left and right ears. The mono models are smaller and lighter in weight than their stereo counterparts, but there are obviously applications where stereo is ideal (listening to music for example).
How will you be using your Bluetooth earpiece?
Will you be listening to music while jogging? Calling family or friends while driving? Simply using your earpiece throughout the day to stay in touch while you are working and going about your routine? Once you answer these questions, you will know which features are most important to shop for.
Which devices will you use your Bluetooth earpiece with?
Makes sure that the earpiece you are considering purchasing is going to be compatible with your devices. Thankfully most Bluetooth earpieces nowadays are compatible with any Bluetooth-enabled mobile device.
Features and Add-Ons to Look For When Shopping for a Bluetooth Earpiece
Chances are good you will be wearing your Bluetooth earpiece for hours at a time—so make sure that you are getting a device which fits comfortably. Unfortunately there is no way to test this out for yourself, so you will need to check out reviews to find out about other customers’ experiences. It is common now to find much more comfortable earpieces than those which were manufactured in the past. Now many earpieces fit over your ear instead of inside it.
You will likely be wearing your earpiece in all kinds of noisy environments. While driving or walking down the street, you will be surrounded by conversation and traffic noise. If you are going to be wearing the earpiece at work, you may also have to deal with loud construction noise or other auditory distractions. Get an earpiece which features superior noise cancellation so that you can hear your music or the person you are talking to.
Many Bluetooth earpieces feature smart technology for intuitive, hands-free operation. For example, the earpiece may be able to detect when you put it on, and may even be able to activate the moment you flip open your mobile device. It might have a feature to announce the name of an incoming caller, and may allow you to use your voice to accept calls and scan through music tracks.
Another question to ask when you are shopping for a Bluetooth earpiece is how long the batteries last. Check how long the device can operate on standby and how long it can run while you are conversing. Many earpieces can run for more than a week in standby mode before the battery needs to be recharged, and may offer you seven or more hours of continuous talk time.
How much of a charge do you need? That depends on how you will use your device. If you have a lot of long conversations or you will be travelling frequently with your earpiece, a long-lasting charge may be important. But if you only will be using your earpiece for an hour or two each day while you are commuting, this may not be such a key feature.
Since the whole point of purchasing a Bluetooth earpiece is to enjoy conversation and music while you are on the go, you obviously want the highest audio quality you can find. Read customer reviews to find out what the clarity and sound balance is like and whether you can customize the bass and treble to your needs. Don’t forget to check out the quality of the microphones as well so you know what the outgoing sound will be like.
There may be times when you are out and about using your Bluetooth earpiece when it starts to rain. Or perhaps you might find yourself in a dusty environment, like when you are walking past road construction. In either case, a device with some basic weatherproofing is a smart purchase. You do not want the first drop of rain you encounter to short out your earpiece.
Now you know all about shopping for Bluetooth earpieces. You know the most important features to look for based on your needs. If you are ready to get started with your product research, scroll back up to the top of this page to view our comparison chart. There you can compare features and prices for Bluetooth earpieces which have been highly rated on Amazon.com.
Plantronics Marque 2: Crystal Clear Audio
If clear communication is an absolute must, the Marque 2 from Plantronics is the bluetooth headset for you. Its unique dual microphone receiver does a much better job of processing human speech compared to the competition. Perhaps because of its innovative and highly efficient microphones, voice recognition works flawlessly allowing true hands free operation.
- You won’t lose it. If you misplace the Marque 2, you can send it a signal via your phone that will cause it to beep until you find it.
- Two mics in one. The Marque 2’s innovative two-in-one microphone system cancels out noise using an advanced algorithm, delivering extra crisp and clear sound to whoever’s on the other line.
- Pair with 2 devices. If you have a work phone and a home phone, you can answer calls from both with this headset.
- Schedule reminders. Thanks to the Marque 2’s integrated appointment reminder system, you’ll never miss an important meeting again.
- Extra comfort. This headset’s soft gel earbuds are more comfortable than most and the package comes with 3 different sizes of them.
- Accurate voice recognition. Just say “answer” or “ignore” to take or refuse an incoming call.
- Standard USB charging. You can plug into the USB wall charger that comes in the box or use any micro USB compatible power cord when this headset’s batteries get low.
- The Marque 2’s odd one button style control system is awkward and not very user friendly, especially for raising or lowering the volume.
Motorola H720: Ultra Comfort
The latest edition of Motorola’s most popular bluetooth headset proves that the company’s engineers had the good sense to stick with its best feature: flip-to-talk. If you hate the hit-or-miss nature of voice activated gadgets, you’ll appreciate the way that the H720’s flip-to-talk feature allows you to pick up or answer a phone call with a single flick of the wrist.
- Flip-to-talk. If you dislike repeating yourself when voice recognition fails, give the H720’s flip activated answering mechanism a try.
- Rests on your ear. People who feel uncomfortable wearing an earplug appreciate the H720’s lightweight “earhook” style frame.
- Energy efficient. This headset can last 11 days on standby and gives you 8 hours of talk time.
- Motorola quality. Motorola is an international brand name with an award winning line of products, not some obscure startup offering low quality products at discount prices.
- Charge level indicators. The red, purple and blue colored lights let you know how much power you have left.
- Great sound. The H720 features high quality Motorola speakers and microphones, which the company has been improving upon for decades.
- Awesome price. Even though this headset performs better than most, it’s very reasonably priced.
- The H720’s flexible rubber ear hook feels very comfortable, but it’s also somewhat fragile and tends to fall apart rather quickly.
Plantronics Voyager Legend: an Advanced Headset With Next Gen Features
The most memorable thing about this award winning bluetooth headset is its magnetic charging system. When the Voyager Legend’s batteries are running low, you can hook it up to the charger in one motion without having to hunt around for a USB cord. This headset’s rugged design and comfortable ear tips also helped it make PCMag’s “Best of the Year” list in 2012.
- It “knows” when you’re wearing it. This headset features an internal gyroscope that can detect if it’s on your ear or in your pocket.
- Hands free operation. The Voyager Legend’s voice recognition algorithm is surprisingly accurate.
- Tough as nails. This headset’s special P2i nano-coating makes it more durable than most other headsets on the market.
- Water resistant. Plantronics engineers designed this headset to withstand sweat and rain.
- Award winning quality. In 2012, PCMag added the Voyager Legend to its “Best of the Year” list of outstanding electronics products.
- Magnetic charger. This gadget’s magnet powered charging system reduces wear and tear and increases ease of use.
- Extra comfy tips. Fans of the Voyager Legend love its extra soft, extra comfy ear tips.
- Though this award winning headset has a lot to offer in the way of features and comfort, some people find its large size to be somewhat unappealing.